Advancements in contact lens technology offer the potential of successful contact lens wear to most of our patients. A contact lens is a medical device in contact with the tissues of your eye; therefore, it must fit appropriately to maintain the health of your eyes. A contact lens prescription can only be determined by the careful observation of the lens on the eye and the eye’s response to the lens on follow-up visits. Since follow-up care is essential, it is your responsibility to keep all appointments and follow all lens care instructions.
THE COMPREHENSIVE EYE EXAM
Before a patient can be fit with contact lenses, a complete medical and refractive eye examination is necessary. This exam is critical to assure the good health of your eyes and to rule out the possibility of any unsuspected, underlying condition that may prevent successful contact lens use.
CONTACT LENS FITTING
The goal of contact lens fitting is to find the most appropriate contact lens for each patient’s optimal vision and comfort. An enormous variety of types, materials, sizes and colors are offered. We are committed to taking the time and effort to fit your contact lenses properly. Although many patients will need only one fitting session, sometimes this process requires several appointments. All patients being fit into contacts for the first time must go through the fitting process. We will not finalize the contact lens prescription until both the patient and the doctor are satisfied with the fit and visual acuity of the contact lens. We will provide the trial lenses necessary to find a lens that fits properly. Any patients who wishes to be written and/or dispensed a contact lens prescription must have a contact lens fitting. A contact lens fitting does not have to be performed on the day of the comprehensive eye exam as long as it is within 6 months of the initial exam.
If you are a new patient to our office it is helpful if you can provide the prescription for the lenses that you are currently wearing.
CONTACT LENS TRAINING SESSION
If the patient is a first time contact lens wearer, he/she will be provided with personalized instruction concerning the safe care and usage of contact lenses. If additional time is needed, it may be necessary to schedule a second training session at a different time. Upon completion of successful insertion and removal, the patient may begin wearing the contact lenses and we will schedule the first follow-up appointment within two weeks.
There is no charge for follow-up visits during the first 90 days following the initial exam date. After this time period, we reserve the right to charge a secondary contact lens fitting fee of $50.
Follow-up appointments are necessary to confirm several things:
- The contact lenses are fitting and moving well
- The prescription is providing the best possible vision
- The eyes are remaining healthy
- There are no problems with insertion or removal
- The patient understands and complies with the recommended wearing schedule
- Prescriptions CANNOT be written for patients who do not keep follow up appointments to complete the fitting process.
ANNUAL CONTACT LENS EXAM
By law, a contact lens prescription is valid for only one year. All patients are required to come in for an annual contact lens exam. This is necessary to assure that the patient’s eyes are healthy and the contact lenses are still fitting well. Contact lens prescriptions cannot be renewed without an annual exam. If we are seeing you for the first time, and you have had a contact lens prescription from another office, it is helpful for us to have a copy of that prescription or for you to bring your lens packaging with you. Additionally, contact lens exams have a separate charge (fitting fee) that is NOT included in your medical eye exam or standard vision exam. This industry standard is set by insurance companies, since not all patients want to wear contact lenses.
*If a patient should desire a secondary contact lens fit for a different lens for occasional wear (i.e. colored lenses, daily disposables for sports, part time multifocal, etc.) within the initial 90 day fitting period, this can be done for an additional $50 fee. However, if the patient wishes to have a secondary contact lens fit outside of the 90 day period, up to 270 days, a new fitting fee will apply at the full rate minus 15% and will include two follow ups within one month of this secondary fit. In all cases, the prescription will be written only for the amount of lenses to cover the rest of the year from the most recent comprehensive examination, and given an expiration date of 1 year from that same comprehensive examination date. *Exceptions can be made when switching back to a previously prescribed lens for which the doctor had assessed and approved the fit and vision.*
CONTACT LENS FEE POLICY
It is the law and our policy that all contact wearers are seen every year for a contact lens examination. The fitting fee, which includes follow-up care within the first 90 days, is determined by the type of lenses prescribed, the difficulty of the fit, and whether or not the patient is a first time contact lens wearer. THIS FEE IS NON REFUNDABLE AND DUE AT THE TIME OF SERVICE. We can discuss lens options and prices in more detail once the eye examination is completed.
The fitting fee includes:
- The contact lens exam, including the necessary trials to successfully complete the fit. If you require custom contact lenses, not disposable or frequent replacement, there is a charge for the contact lenses.
- Follow-up visits are included at no charge, up to 90 days after the contact lens exam. If the patient neglects to complete the fitting within the 90 day period, he/she is subject to a new fitting fee.
- Lens changes if necessary, are included at no extra charge within the 90 day period.
- One 30 minute training session.
- One contact lens follow up in 6 months from the completion of the fitting exam.
The fitting fee does NOT include:
- Contact lenses (Costs will vary depending on type of lens prescribed.)
- The comprehensive eye exam
- Medical visits not directly related to contact lens wear.
- Contact lens check ups after 90 days, except for the 6 month check.
- Additional trials throughout the year.
*Contact Lens Trial Policy
Contact lens trials (disposable and frequent replacement) are supplied to our office from our suppliers for the purpose of fitting. Thus:
- They are not available for purchase.
- They will only be supplied to a patient during the 90 day trial period.
- If the prescription is about to expire and the patient is due for the annual contact lens fitting, we can dispense a onetime set of trials in the old prescription, and schedule the upcoming examination during the wear-cycle of the dispensed trials. New lenses will not be ordered until the examination is completed.
Fees for the comprehensive exam, contact lens fitting, or annual contact lens checks are due at the time of service. Fees for contact lens materials are due at the time of order. As always, the patient is responsible for any services not covered by his or her insurance plan. We accept cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. After the initial fit, we will gladly order contact lenses over the phone with a credit card as long as the prescription is valid.
- There will be NO refund of the comprehensive eye exam or contact lens fitting (any level).
- There will be no refund on custom lenses, opened boxes of any type of lenses, due to the patient changing his/her mind. In the rare case that a patient cannot tolerate contact lens wear, a refund will be given for the custom lenses within 60 days of ordering. Refunds cannot be given for any opened or damaged boxes of disposables.
- If there has been a change in the patient’s prescription before the patient is due for the annual exam, trial lenses may be exchanged for any unused lenses.